[Mediawiki-l] How to make external links open a new window?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Feb 9 22:11:18 UTC 2005

On 9 Feb 2005, at 13:57, NSK wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 18:59, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> CONFUSED when they click on one word, and are still within the site,
>
> You can just avoid linking to external sites. Why do you need external
> links?

Because they include useful information that people appreciate. Because
I can't control what users (not the really unsophisticated ones, who
don't edit) put on their pages. Because the wiki concept is free and
open.

The problem is that SOME PEOPLE don't know how to get back to where
they were.

Before you snort derisively about not knowing how to use a "back"
button, think of someone you know that can barely use a VCR -- a parent
or grandparent, perhaps. Shouldn't we try to make the Internet as easy
as possible for them?

> People who get confused so easily need training.

This is true, but often not practical. Plus, they're 500km away from me.

:::: I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I do not need
to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being
the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say
something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation. --
George W. Bush
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>