[Mediawiki-l] Re: resetting the sysop password

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Feb 9 19:12:53 UTC 2005

On 9 Feb 2005, at 10:24, Jason Davies wrote:

>> But you "own" your database... even though I agree they should NOT
>> give you access to the database directories.
>
> it's not that simple...it's housed in a directory belonging to someone
> else (long story!).

I think you miss my point. You don't need directory access. MySQL
(assuming that's what we're talking about here) has its own access
control system. If MediaWiki can get into it, you can too, if you have
the tool (or can write a bit of PHP.)

> ..i'm only a
> mortal university lecturer...

Hey, we all started somewhere! Hope I didn't inadvertently insult you.

:::: You know you have reached perfection of design not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. --
Antoine de'Exupery
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>