[Mediawiki-l] texvc hanging

Jonathan Elsas jelsas at email.unc.edu
Wed Feb 9 14:00:33 UTC 2005

Has anyone had a problem with texvc hanging when trying to render math
within a wiki page?  My installation was working fine until yesterday
when updates to pages including <math> would hang forever.  Looking at
the processes owned by apache on the server, I can see:

./math/texvc
sh -c convert
convert

in addition to the other httpd processes.  Any ideas?  I've tried
running texvc from the command line and get the following output until
it hangs:

$ ./texvc ~/public_html/testing/ ~/public_html/testing/ 'E(C_R) = -
\frac{1}{\log q} \sum_{i=1}^q \frac{n_r^i}{n_r} \log \frac{n_r^i}{n_r}'
iso-8859-1
This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2005.02.09:0842' ->
<texc.pro>. [1]

Several temp files are generated, ending with .dvi, .aux, .log, .ps and
.tex.  The .ps file does look like the correct rendering of the
formula, so I'm guessing the TeX/LaTeX piece is completing
successfully.  Running texvc from the command line also forks a
'convert' process that hangs.

any advice?