[Mediawiki-l] Using CVS to upgrade?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 18:19:18 UTC 2005

Muzaffer Ozakca wrote:
> 1. Check out our version of 1.3.9 into dir A and dir B
> 2. Untar 1.3.10 into B
> 3. Check in A
> 4. Update in B and hope CVS merged two versions
>
> Would this work? This question is not directly related to mediawiki, hope
> it's not against conventions.

Making a CVS repository for this one merge is probably overkill.

You could just use the standard Unix diff and patch tools:

tar zxvf mediawiki-1.3.9.tar.gz
tar zxvf mediawiki-1.3.10.tar.gz
diff -ur mediawiki-1.3.9 mediawiki-1.3.10 > mediawiki-1.3.10.patch
cd /to/my/directory/wiki
patch -p1 < /to/my/other/stuff/mediawiki-1.3.10.patch
# now clean up any rejects

There's probably some magic CVS command you could run to make the patch
from REL1_3_9 to REL1_3_10 direct from the Sourceforge anonymous CVS
server, but I don't know offhand how to do it. :)

(Of course if your source is a checkout from our server in REL1_3
branch, you'd just do 'cvs up' and the magic would all happen there.)

-- brion vibber (brion @pobox.com)