[Mediawiki-l] User can't stay logged in

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 18:10:11 UTC 2005

Jonathan Pennington wrote:
> I did some digging and found that using session.cookie_domain by setting
> it to the main domain '.sourceforge.net' will automatically make the
> cookie valid for any XX.sourceforge.net server. I found $wgCookieDomain
> in DefaultSettings.php and set it in LocalSettings.php. This seems to
> work, and eliminates my other problem of not being able to do admin
> tasks from the web. Unless there are any issues with this method, it
> seems a bit better than a directory in the project space.

I wouldn't expect that to affect this problem at all; every request to
your project will go to the same hostname, even though they are hitting
different machines on the other end.

Cookie management is done on the browser side, which doesn't know that
foobar.sourceforge.net at time T and foobar.sourceforge.net at time T+1
are different computers. It will send the cookies with both requests.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)