[Mediawiki-l] User can't stay logged in

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 08:15:41 UTC 2005

Jonathan Pennington wrote:
> I'm trying to build a mediawiki page on the Sourceforge servers
> (project: Pyarie). I've got the problem that whenever I log in, either
> as an account or as WikiSysop, I can't stay logged in. If I go to
> another page, it seems to log me out.

Sourceforge's project web hosting provides very poor PHP support
unfortunately. First, it's set up fairly insecurely, so remember that
for instance any other Sourceforge user with a developer login can read
your database password.

Regarding sessions in particuar: the project web hosting is on a cluster
of several servers, and they do not by default share session files. This
means that when you open a login session, and then go to another page,
the second page is probably loaded from a different server which doesn't
see your session data. Load another page, maybe you hit the first server
again, maybe you don't.

You can create a directory in your project space and set the
session.save_path configuration variable with ini_set() in your
LocalSettings.php. This should allow sessions to work and be shared
across servers, but note that other Sourceforge account holders will be
able to read and probably write to your session data.

http://www.php.net/session
http://www.php.net/ini_set

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)