[Mediawiki-l] "Illegal mix of collations" on a 1.4beta6 installation on Windows

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 02:29:58 UTC 2005

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> What I would really like is to use "default-character-set=utf8". Any
> idea why MySQL complains that
>
>  KEY cl_sortkey(cl_to,cl_sortkey(128))
>
> is longer than 1024 bytes?

I'm not sure offhand how MySQL stores these things in utf8 mode, but
note that cl_sortkey is set to length 255, and (255+128)*4 > 1024.

The maximum byte length of a legal UTF-8 character is 4 bytes (limited
to the 21-bit Unicode range), or it may be storing in UTF-32 which uses
a fixed 32 bits per character.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)