[Mediawiki-l] Configuraton and localizzation problems - Problemi di configurazione e localizzazione

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 22:30:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:43:34 +0100, Lorenzo Breda <lorenzo at gbreda.com> wrote:
> I didn't understand if this mailing list is Italian or English. So i wrote
> this letter in both languages.

Mostly, it's in English, as that's what most of the developers speak.

> 1. I had to edit the text "Wikipedia" in the titlebar of the browser. I did
> it editing the "includes/OutputPage.php" file on line 153 [ setHTMLTitle()
> ]. Is there a better way to do it?

Yes. Just find the appropriate page in the "MediaWiki namespace" - see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:MediaWiki_namespace for an
overview, and go to the page [[Special:Allmessages]] on your own site
to find which messages need changing. In this case, I think you need
to edit the page [[MediaWiki:Wikititlesuffix]].

The language files shouldn't include hard-coded references to
Wikipedia like this (they should have been replaced with
"{{SITENAME}}", which changes as you reconfigure your own wiki), but I
guess the Italian translation must have lagged behind on this change.

Note that once you've got the wiki running, changes to the language
files will have no direct effect, because they are copied into the
database during installation; the MediaWiki: pages represent those
entries in the database.

> 2. I have to edit the menu. I read on the documentation to do it adding
> something like this:
> $wgNavigationLinks = array (
>          array( 'text'=>'Home page', 'href'=>'WikiComics' ),
>          array( 'text'=>'Ultime modifiche', 'href'=>'Speciale:Recentchanges' ),
>          array( 'text'=>'Pagina a caso', 'href'=>'Speciale:Randompage' ),
>          array( 'text'=>'Links', 'href'=>'Links' ),
>          array( 'text'=>'Aiuto', 'href'=>'Aiuto' ),
> );
> to "LocalSettings.php", but it don't works. How can I do it?

I think this configuration style is only available in the 1.4 beta
releases. In version 1.3.x, some of the entries can be altered from
the MediaWiki namespace (e.g. set [[MediaWiki:currentevents]] to the
text and [[MediaWiki:currentevents-url]] to the target of a link to
put in place of "Current events"; again, use [[Special:Allmessages]]
to hunt these out), but I don't think there's an easy way of more
thoroughly editting the list.

> 3. I'm using the Italian language file, but in the user menu (in the top)
> the program writes "[...] My contributions" in English and I didn't find it in the language file.
> Where is it?

That, it looks like, is [[MediaWiki:Mycontris]]

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]