[Mediawiki-l] case insensitive links

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:12:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:52:25 -0500, Jamie Bliss <astronouth7303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The solution to this is to only use lowercase letters except in proper names.
> ie, the names of the two articles would be "Farbulator overflow valve"
> and "Framis bulkhead". Now if there was a band called Framis Bulkhead,
> you could have two seperate articles: one for the band and one for the
> mounting location.

I agree with your main point - if the term is correctly written with
capitals, it should be written with capitals; it not, the article
title should match how it's written.

I would, however, advise against having two titles differing only in
capitalisation, because this seems to screw up browser histories, at
least in Mozilla & Firefox - to demonstrate, use an existing browser
window/tab to go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid and then
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID; now click your "back" button, and
be confused... [Now I see that this doesn't happen in IE, I guess it's
a moz bug, but it's still confusing, and there may be similar problems
elsewhere and in other browsers]

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]