[Mediawiki-l] Help anticipating size of MySQL database; hosting recommendations

=James Birkholz= j.birchwood at verizon.net
Fri Feb 4 00:26:09 UTC 2005

I'm reasonably happy with Lunar Pages, for a low cost host. There are some
times when it seems like the server I'm on gets bogged down or offline, but
probably no more than most, where only one server is serving. They've had
growing pains, and it took me some effort at times when I was setting up to
find the tech support guys that could actually help. The e-mail support can
work well once you get a response. It's proably 4 times the size now than
what it was when I joined about 2 years ago. At the time though, it had
some of the best serve times for low-priced hosts. I haven't made any real
config changes since I started so, I haven't had to deal with them other
than to remember to keep $45 in the account every 3 months.

I had zero problems installing mediawiki (1.39) a couple of months ago.
(Well, that's not true, I tried installing it into my alternate mysql
database, had some problem, and then tried installing it as an add-on to my
main db and whatever I did different worked, and I've been too lazy to
re-install. But I didn't need to get the host to do anything.

I did have to get them to set my account to use an older version of their
"control panel" skin, to get myphpAdmin to work correctly. And their were
issues with using a nonstandard port to use that control panel. (Which
keeps me from using it at work, our firewall has all non-essenitial ports
blocked.)

James Birkholz
admin, Posen-L mailing list and website
http://www.Posen-L.com