[Mediawiki-l] Re: how to delete my wiki page? mistakes

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Dec 27 18:00:40 UTC 2005

> From: Sy Ali <sy1234 at gmail.com>
>
> ... apparently going into the database
> would indeed be required to purge history.. but such things are not
> for me...

I think anyone who is going to administer a MediaWiki site would
benefit from learning something about MySQL.

If you're someone who does a lot of web stuff, that learning would
not be limited to one application, either, as the PHP/MySQL combo is
used on hundreds of free web applications.

There are also numerous GUI tools for administering a MySQL database,
that span the range from free to thousands of dollars. My favorite
(although it lacks a thing or two that cause me to run off to some
other tool now and then) is phpMyAdmin, which is free.

As when learning anything, work on a backup. Record the manual steps
you take to accomplish your goal. Then try to do them in a script.
Then instead of ranting, submit your work for the benefit of all, and
become a famous contributor, rather than an infamous ranter!

:::: At the root of our problem is America's addiction to cheap
energy. It would be a sad commentary if our leaders found it easier
to send Americans to fight in the desert than to impose gasoline and
other energy taxes. -- James Gustave Speth, 1990
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesimths.com/Van>