[Mediawiki-l] Translations

Ignacio Gonzalez T. igtorque at eliop.es
Thu Dec 22 09:59:39 UTC 2005

Hello everybody.

I've recently installed Mediawiki in my Department's intranet web server and
things are working fine.

Alas, some text strings are in English (even very visible ones, such as
discussion, edit and history) instead of in our local language (Spanish). So I
decided to translate them, for the beneift of my less international mates.

After reading through the online help pages and documentation, I'm a bit
confused about the current procedure to translate a wiki to another
language. On one hand, there is the LanguageXX.php files. On the other
hand, there is the recommended procedure ("as of August 2005") to edit the
texts directly through the very wiki editing mechanism and the Special
Pages.

The last method works fine and is very direct and easy to use. But I find it
very time consuming: instead of translating a batch of strings, I find myself
translating string by string and updating page by page on my (very slow)
server. At this pace, I won't have my wiki ready for Xmas.

Is there any batch procedure for doing the same "in just a couple of
commits"? I mean, some php script, sql script or the like that takes all the
string from a text file or table and updates the whole thing. (I'm quite new on
php, sql, apache and life in general, so I don't know if I am asking for absurd
things).

Please forgive my naïveness.

Many thanks.
--
Ignacio Gonzalez
igtorque(AT)eliop(DOT)es(ANDTHISISTHEEND)