[Mediawiki-l] Re: "user_groups" database corruption

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Dec 20 17:56:10 UTC 2005

> From: mediawiki at x11.cjb.net
>
> A database error has occurred
> Query: SELECT ug_group FROM `user_groups` WHERE ug_user = '1'
> Function: User::loadFromDatabase
> Error: 1017 Can't find file: 'user_groups.MYI' (errno: 2) (localhost)

It would appear that the index file for the user_groups table has
been deleted or has wrong permissions.

> I tried to run check tables on it, but it didn't seem to have any
> effect.

If you run myisamchk from a shell prompt, it should tell you it can't
access the table.

> I found this person... suggestion was to ask the host about fixing
> the database, but when I contacted iPowerweb they told me their
> databases were working fine, and that they didn't support third
> party software.

Tell them you're not using third-party software; tell them you have a
database table called "user_groups" that has a problem. Don't mention
MediaWiki at all -- it's an MySQL problem!

If you're lucky, they can fix that file's permissions. If you're
slightly less lucky, they may restore it from a recent backup. There
may be a way of re-creating it if the corresponding .MYD and .FRM
files are intact.

If the file is simply gone, consider some other service provider!

:::: There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as
The Dark Ages. -- Ruth Hurmence Green
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>