[Mediawiki-l] Re: 1.5.2 problems with MySQL 5.0.16?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Dec 13 18:03:22 UTC 2005

> From: Rob Church <robchur at gmail.com>
>
> Ordinarily I'd bawl at you to upgrade PHP as being the easier route;
> this being a classic indicator of the old, "PHP's mySQL binaries are
> out of date with the new authentication in mySQL 5"...however as other
> applications are working, this might be a useless task...

Yea, I briefly considered that, but the other sites (including MW1.4
sites) ARE working with MySQL 5, and this is a spankin' brand new
installation of MacOS X 10.4.3, complete with the latest patches.

<?php phpinfo() ?> reports PHP Version 4.3.4, but I see that it also
reports mysql Client API Version 3.23.49. Sigh. I'll poke around a
bit more...

Is there anything changed between 1.4 and 1.5 that might be using a
new PHP <---> MySQL API?

I *really* don't want to change PHP from the Apple-supplied version
if I don't have to. The last time I did that, my clients' sites were
down for a week while I hunted down various things that broke. I
guess I'll go see what Liyanage is bundling these days...

> Rob Church
>
> On 13/12/05, Jan Steinman <Jan at bytesmiths.com> wrote:
>> Well, I touched the GRANT table for the MySQL user for this site, and
>> re-loaded, and now it gets a bit further. Instead of a stack trace, I
>> now get the following:
>>
>>> Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
>>>
>>> Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
>>>
>>> (Can't contact the database server: Client does not support
>>> authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading
>>> MySQL client (localhost))
>>
>> Does this suggest anything?
>>
>> Again, this site (www.EcoReality.org) was working fine with MySQL
>> 4.0.16, and my other wikis that are at MW1.4 are working fine with
>> MySQL 5.0.16.
>>
>> :::: He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already
>> earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since
>> for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. -- Albert Einstein
>> :::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-6313-16>

:::: The better you live, the more oil you use. -- Esso
advertisement, New Yorker, 1949
:::: Jan Steinman <htp://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>