[Mediawiki-l] Redirecting site errors to the wiki

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Dec 12 22:43:24 UTC 2005

It's been stated here before that one should not put the wiki
directly under the root of your site, like "http://www.mysite.com/
WikiWord", but rather have something else in-between, like "http://
www.mysite.com/wiki/WikiWord".

I forget the reason for this, and wonder if that reason holds true
for a hack I just implemented. I have Apache set up to go to
Error.php upon encountering a missing page, which contains the
following:

($_SERVER['REDIRECT_URL']) ?>">

This effectively means that a URL "http://www.mysite.com/WikiWord"
will be redirected to "http://www.mysite.com/wiki/WikiWord".

Is this a bad thing? Should I just throw up a generic error page
instead?

:::: I have no doubt that it is possible to give a new direction to
technological development, a direction that shall lead it back to the
real needs of man, and that also means: to the actual size of man.
Man is small, and, therefore, small is beautiful. -- EF Schumaker ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, SEEDS http://www.IslandSeeds.org/wiki ::::