[Mediawiki-l] boards2go spam attack

admin Yellowikis yellowikis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 09:44:32 UTC 2005

We've been attacked too - It also adds a long list of links to
http://buy-ativan.fil.ph lower on the page.

we had:

 $wgSpamRegex="/overflow:auto/";

in LocalSettings.php

but an extra space has been added after the ...overflow: auto....

so now we have both
 $wgSpamRegex="/overflow:auto/";
 $wgSpamRegex="/overflow: auto/";

hope that helps

Paul

On 12/12/05, Sterling D. Allan <sterlingda at pureenergysystems.com> wrote:
> PESWiki.com has been hit with an automated spam attack that circumvents
> 1) requirement that edits be done only by logged-in users
> 2) spamblock script that was installed.
>
> It seems to target non-populated pages, such as talk pages and category pages and not-yet-built page links, and posts spam links from them.
>
> It logs in as one user, then after a few hours, logs in as another user, and hits the same pages again.
>
> So far today, I've been hit by three users.
>
> It is not a mission critical attack inasmuch as the pages it is hitting are not high traffic pages, and it doesn't remove content, it only appends its spam links at the end.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Sterling

Yellowikis is to Yellow Pages, as Wikipedia is to The Encyclopedia Britannica