[Mediawiki-l] Time zone name

Ben Arnold (DSLWN) BenA at datacom.co.nz
Sun Dec 11 23:42:52 UTC 2005

On my installation the timezone in the ~~~~ signature is displayed as
"(New Zealand Daylight Time)". This is pretty cumbersome. I'd prefer it
display "(NZDT)" or no timezone at all. I've tried Googling mediawiki
time zone but all the hits are around setting the offset, not the name.
I've also tried searching the MediaWiki installation for a configuration
file with timezone names in it, but no luck.

I'm using MediaWiki 1.5.1, PHP 4.3.8, MySQL 4.0.20a-debug on Windows XP
Professional.

In my LocalSettings.php, I have the following setting:

$wgLocalTZoffset = 13;

I guess there must be a mapping somewhere from 13 to "New Zealand
Daylight Time", although I don't know how it knows I'm not using Tonga
Standard Time. Maybe the O/S supplies the timezone names. Any ideas?

Ben