[Mediawiki-l] Email approval before login

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Dec 7 00:11:37 UTC 2005

Here's what I did.

1) Disallow account creation.
2) Supply a form for people to request account creation.
3) Create the account for them, either as sysop, or by plugging the
user table.
4) In either case, the user then has to request a password.

Example at: http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Join

I realize this creates a bit more administrative work, but assuming
legit requests are low occurrence, it's less trouble than dealing
with TONS of illegitimate accounts, which the gurus here have
repeatedly warned us we should not delete!

In wikis I've been creating, I see about an 80% illegitimate account
creation rate.

:::: Real peace in a petroleum-fueled world means rejecting petroleum
dependence in all possible ways. -- Jan Lundberg
:::: Jan Steinman (a fossil-fuel-free zone) <http://
www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>