[Mediawiki-l] Email approval before login

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Dec 6 13:04:10 UTC 2005

Rowan Collins wrote:

> "completely trusted account"? This is exactly the kind of flawed
> reasoning that gets trotted out time and time again on this subject,

On a slightly different topic, I'd be interested in knowing if
anybody has found a useful and scalable method to ban a person,
i.e. not only banning a user account, but also being able to
refuse the same person to sign up with a different account.  This
could be desireable for banning repeat vandals and removing
sockpuppets from voting.

If I could assume, for example, that IBM and the University of
Maryland had very strict e-mail address policies, using e-mail
verification and only allowing ibm.com and umd.edu addresses would
seem to be a working solution.  But this fails because the same
person can be affiliated with both organizations, and as the
number of included domains increase such crossaffiliation becomes
more and more likely.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)