[Mediawiki-l] Email approval before login

Mischa Peters mischa2023 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:38:41 UTC 2005

> > I understand the open editing thing. But I don't want to have people
> > register with bogus accounts. As long as their email address exist I
> > don't mind what they type.
>
> How on earth does "not having an e-mail address" equate to "bogus
> account" - or rather, how does "having an e-mail address" equate to
> "completely trusted account"? This is exactly the kind of flawed
> reasoning that gets trotted out time and time again on this subject,
> and why I think there is a serious message behind the very funny
> parody on meta [1].

As a general rule not having an email address does indeed not reflect
a bogus account, however it does make the threshold lower in respect
to crap on your wiki.
And where did you read that I associated having an email address with
a "completely trusted account"?

It's not the kinds of statements that makes this flawed but the
interpretation of these words.

The thing that I just don't understand what the aversion against this
_option_ is.
The option to disallow non-logged-in users to edit documents is also
there, so I don't see  the difference here.

And since all these options are options you can make a choice of using
or not using them. Simple? I think so...

What about the mailman software? The function to verify your email
address is optional and the MediaWiki team decided to enable this.
Why?! Maybe to make sure that people would subscribe with a valid
email address?

Mischa