[Mediawiki-l] Ideas adding some "browser test links" to Special:SiteMatrix

gangleri gangleri at wikimagic.com
Sun Dec 4 21:08:50 UTC 2005

Hallo!

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix is great now.

What about adding some links for browser tests.

a) for each language with a limited number of special UTF-8 characters we
should store in a common configuration file
a1) a list of characters required to see information in that language
a2) a list of the Unicode blocks that contain that characters
*note* [[zh:]], maybe also ja:]] have a lot of characters

b) We should be able to create a generic page which includes:
b1) a few MediaWiki messages
b2) a test screen area where UTF-8 characters and their images (available at
commons) should be displayed site by site; visitors can compare what they
should see and what they see in their browser

Why this requirement?
At the moment I can not see the language names for [[am:]], [[bug:]],
[[chr:]], [[got:]], [[ii:]], [[iu:]], [[km:]], [[or:]], [[si:]], [[ti:]].

Somehow we should offer the posibility to include also a browser test for
the "Unicode Characters in the IPA Extensions Block" as made at
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/ipa_extensions/utf8test.htm .

Traying to create http://yi.wiktionary.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Edittools I
reaslised that I can not see
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/02ae/index.htm and
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/02af/index.htm in the "IPA
Extensions Block".

What is your opinion about this?

best regards reinhardt [[user:gangleri]]