[Mediawiki-l] Examples to structure a wiki

Gustav Vella gustav.vella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 07:23:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

unfortunately there isn't much (automated) structuring. I found this
experimental feature
which enables experimental dmoz-like category browsing. Outputs things
like: Encyclopedia > Music > Style of Music > Jazz

wgUseCategoryBrowser
--> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categorization#.22Category:.22_pseudo-namespace

I haven not tried it out yet

Then I posted a question on rtendering a navigation through categories
a few days ago but no feedback till now.

What you CAN easiliy do is tweak the sitenotice into a category
navigation as follows:

- you write a template to show the categories (you cannot just type
them in because they would categorize your navigation - i.e. you have
to use a template to escape them) . For instance I called mine
'Vorlage:Showcategory'  and it looks like this:

[[:Kategorie:{{{1}}}|{{{1}}}]]

Then you write a template to display your navigation in the sitenotice
field on top:

mine is called {{navi}} and looks like this:

{| border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="100%"
style="float:right; margin-left:1em; margin-bottom:0,5em;
background:#ffffff; font-size: 90%;"

'''Häufig verwendete Kategorien''': {{showcategory|TESLA}} |
{{showcategory|Büro}} | {{showcategory|Organisation}} |
{{showcategory|Zeitpläne}} | {{showcategory|VML}} |
{{showcategory|Dokumentation, Anleitungen}} |  ''[[Spezial:Categories
| Weitere]]......''
|}

(TESLA, Büro, Organnisation, Zeitpläne, VML and the so.. are already
existing Categories in my wiki)

you finally edit [[MediaWiki:Sitenotice]] and bind in the template
{{navi}}. The Categories above display neatly beneth the Tabs.

(By the way I'm using the German Version: Vorlage means Template,
Kategorie means Category)

Cheers

Gustav Vella

---