[Mediawiki-l] Account creation priviledge

Brion Vibber brion.vibber at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 22:58:36 UTC 2005

On 8/24/05, Andrew Johnson <anj at aps.anl.gov> wrote:
> I am sufficiently trusting of my users that I think it
> reasonable for any registered user to be allowed to create new users,
> I have basically extended the $wgWhitelistAccount array to include an
> anonymous option, which now distinguishes a logged in user from someone
> who is only known by their IP address (currently enabling 'user' in the
> $wgWhitelistAccount array means anyone can get an account).  The code to
> implement this is in User::isAllowedToCreateAccount()

I haven't tested it, but I believe you can do this on a stock 1.5
installation like so:
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['createaccount'] = true;

1.5's groups system distinguishes between all users ('*') and
logged-in users ('user') as special automatic group assignments, plus
whatever is explicitly listed in the user_groups table.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)