[Mediawiki-l] Re: categories and orphans

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Wed Aug 24 22:24:53 UTC 2005

Bob Marinier wrote:
> I'm adding content to a new wiki for a research project, and one of the
> things we want to do is have lists of useful publications, organized
> into various categories (some publications may be in multiple
> categories).  Each publication will have it's own page with an
> abstract.  It seems that MediaWiki's category feature is perfect for
> this kind of thing, except for one issue -- the publications pages
> aren't linked to/from anywhere, so they all appear as orphans.  This
> really clutters the orphans list, making it impossible to tell what the
> "real" orphans are.
>
> Does anyone know of a good workaround to this problem?  The only thing I
> can think of is creating a dummy page which links to all of the
> publications pages, but that's such a hack!

Hello Bob,

You could modify the Special:Lonelypage ;o) The content is generated by
a SQL query in includes/SpecialLonelypages.php

It actually left join on `pagelinks`, you could have it join also on
`categorylinks` to remove pages that are part of a category :)

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar