[Mediawiki-l] Wikiwyg

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:13:33 UTC 2005

On 8/23/05, Jonathan Sanderson <lists at quernstone.com> wrote:
> In case people haven't seen the various bits of news coming out of
> (Foo|Bar)Camp last weekend: Wikiwyg is a demonstration of an in-
> browser WYSIWYG wiki editor. It's Mozilla/Firefox only, but rather
> elegant nonetheless.
>
>      <http://www.wikiwyg.net/>
>
> Not that I wish to kick off a holy war, but with current wikis,
> including MediaWiki, there's clearly a learning curve for 'general
> public' users. Often, they're new not just to the wiki concept, but
> also to the very idea of markup. My own recent wiki project foundered
> on that hurdle; Wikiwyg is the sort of system that might make wikis
> dramatically more straightforward to casual users.
>
> Besides, it's kinda fun to play with.
>
> Lots of discussion around the blogosphere:
>      <http://technorati.com/search/wikiwyg>
>
> --
> Jonathan Sanderson
> 'If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.' (Pascal)

Odd. I thought Wikiwyg was <http://81.5.150.113/wysi/>. I think it's
also much cooler. I'm working on a Client-side reader/editor written
in XUL/JS based on it. See my blog entry
<http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/blog/wikiwyg/>.

I think you may have kicked off a holy war of a different kind.

--
  Jamie