[Mediawiki-l] Time for an email-list-to-forum bridge via Mail2Forum.com?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Sat Aug 20 15:20:15 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I attempt to make a formal request to create a email-list-to-forum "bridge"
using Mail2Forum ( http://mail2forum.com/ ) for the MediaWiki-l email list.

I have been using the above software to bridge many different
GNUMailman-based email lists with phpBB web forums (on my company's
intranet site) for some time now, and this has been immensely useful.  I
would expect similar results for the MediaWiki-l email list.

Case in point:

I would love to be able to archive a reference to the recent
"import-and-export-via-external-editors" thread I started, a portion of
which is here:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2005-August/006455.html

...but I can't reference the entire thread, because frankly, GNUMailman's
archive mechanism (pipermail) is rather poor.  I can't get one web-link
reference to an entire thread, for the pipermail email archive is "all over
the place."

This is just one of the many benefits, imho.  Additionally, phpBB posters
have their posts copied to the email list, all with the proper References:
header thread control, thus allowing web-forum users and email-list users
to co-exist transparently on the same discussion content.  EMail
Attachments are automatically inserted as web-forum attachments (if
desired).  And more.

I can provide a few tips to setup to Brion or whoever admins this site.  I
contribute a lot of posts to the mail2forum.com discussions as well.

What do you think?

-Matt