[Mediawiki-l] RE: googlebot

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:50:29 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Andres Obrero <andres at holzapfel.ch> wrote:
> Ok, robots.txt seem to be worth to use it.
> At the moment google search endless in
> /mediawiki/index.php?title=Spezial:Recentchanges&from=2005...
> What is the rule to avoid this type of request?
> It is not in my interest to disallow index.php,
> only ?title=Spezial:Recentchanges
> i didn't find any example in www.robotstxt.org.
> Andres Obrero

I don't think that this is possible using ONLY robots.txt

The way to do this is  to setup LocalSettings.php so as to use a
different path prefix for articles vs. other things in the wiki, and
use apache mod_rewrite to separate the paths.  Mediawiki has the
concept of an article path and a script path. The normal thing is to
have the article path be /wiki/ and the script path be /w/

for more see:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Robots.txt
and
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_Rules

This requires that you have access to the server to set up the rewrite
rules, and be warned that using mod_rewrite is one of the more complex
tasks in configuring mediawiki.