[Mediawiki-l] Issues with localhost and binding to 127.0.0.1

Hemanshu Narsana hemanshu_narsana at symantec.com
Mon Aug 8 04:20:06 UTC 2005

Okay, so here is my problem:

I use a powerbook and have the standard Apache that ships with Mac OS X
10.4 installed and running with php and mysql. I have installed
mediawiki on it too.

WHat happens is that when I'm on wireless or wired into a network, the
network usually gives me a temp id.. v124sdaa.blahblah.com or something
similar. All the other sites in my Sites folder open correctly if a
request via browser from another computer on the network is sent to
v124sdaa.blahblah.com/~hnarsana/site_name/

Except when I try that with v124sdaa.blahblah.com/~hnarsana/mediawiki/
from anbother computer, the browser automatically redirects to
127.0.0.1/mediawiki and this ofcourse doesn't open mediawiki since
127.0.0.1 on the computer I am using has no meaning because there is no
server and Apache running.

Can someone tell me how to prevent mediawiki to bind to 127.0.0.1 and
allow it to recognise dynamic urls assigned to my computer?

Thanks in advance,
Hemanshu