[Mediawiki-l] Selected German as Language but tolltips and Links still English

Michael Wolf milupo at sorbzilla.de
Mon Aug 15 18:33:34 UTC 2005

Simon Wagner napisa:

> Hello,
> i have installed a mediawiki 1.4.7 on my server. Everything is OK so
> far it
> is running, but when i looked closely at the navigation-links i noticed
> something was wrong:
> I had selected German as Language but the tooltips of the Links where
> still
> in English, although the caption was in German (e.g. "Spenden" linking to
> "support us" with the Tooltip "Support this Site")
> So I looked for this array in DefaultSettings.php
>
> $wgNavigationLinks = array (
>    array( 'text'=>'mainpage', 'href'=>'mainpage' ),
>    array( 'text'=>'portal', 'href'=>'portal-url' ),
>    array( 'text'=>'currentevents', 'href'=>'currentevents-url' ),
>    array( 'text'=>'mylink', 'href'=>'mylink-url' ),
>    array( 'text'=>'help', 'href'=>'helppage' ),
>    array( 'text'=>'sitesupport', 'href'=>'sitesupport-url' )
> );
>
> After this I searched in LanguageDe.php for sitesupport-url. If I
> would change this entry, thought, this would change the link.
> I didn't found sitesupport-url, so I added it:
> 'sitesupport'=>'Spenden',
> But this didn't change anything... ( I have set Firfox's cache to 0KB,
> so i must have seen it)
>
> Now, also changing
> 'mainpage'=>'Hauptseite'
> 'mainpage'=>'Hauptseite TEST'
> didn't change anything.
> Seems MediaWiki doesn't care about what is standing in LanguageDe.php...
>
> After this, I tried to change the tooltips. Again the same, I searched
> for tooltip-sitesupport in LanguageDe.php.
> This time I was surprised: It was standing there already:
> 'tooltip-sitesupport' => 'Unterstützen Sie {{SITENAME}}',
> So the tooltip should be in German *confused*
>
> Now, I don't know how to solve the problem.
>
> Did anyone of you have the same problem?
> Why does MediaWiki ignore my changes in LanguageDe.php?
> How can I make it following my changes?

Hi Simon,

I'm a new user, too. But I think  you should copy the entry

    $wgUseDatabaseMessages = true;

 from DefaultSettings.php to LocalSettings.php

and SET the VALUE to FALSE, then your Main page will start with German
interface when you type http://localhost/index.php/Hauptseite into the
address bar.