[Mediawiki-l] HTTP_REMOTE_USER and MediaWiki

Stephen J. Scheck ss543 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 29 13:05:33 UTC 2005

Hello,

First of all, sorry if this has already been answered somewhere but I
didn't see any reference in the FAQ or documentation.

Our organization has a global authentication system, which can be set up
to propagate to web applications via the CGI HTTP_REMOTE_USER variable.
I want to set up MediaWiki to use this, so that if HTTP_REMOTE_USER is
set, it automatically uses it as if a user with the same name had
logged in normally.

Is this something that can be configured or easily hacked in by someone
with no PHP knowledge but knowledge of other scripting languages? If
so, could somebody kindly give me some pointers about where to begin?

Thanks,

-sjs

Stephen J. Scheck                             Email: ss543 at cornell.edu
Network Administrator                         Phone: 607.255.6278
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology  www.chem.cornell.edu/crcf/