[Mediawiki-l] Trying to make images redirect to category pages - no luck

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Apr 28 21:20:04 UTC 2005

Mike Stanley wrote:
> We're disaplaying a number of images as "icons" on our main page in
> front of the various topics we list there - which are also defined as
> categories.
>
> Before we started using categories those links just lead to individual
> pages like "Windows", "Mac", "Printing",  etc.  We setup the image
> pages to redirect to /Windows , /Mac, and /Printing and that worked
> fine.

That's not a great idea IMHO, as it makes it extra difficult to work
with the image pages themselves.

Here's a quick hacky extension I've used on my own personal site:
http://leuksman.com/extensions/ImageLink.phps

> Is it simply not possible to have an image redirect to a Category or
> am I doing something wrong?

There's a bug with handling redirects to image and category pages.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)