[Mediawiki-l] Re: Trying to make images redirect to category pages - no luck

Mike Stanley utmikestanley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:33:03 UTC 2005

On 4/28/05, Jan Steinman <Jan at bytesmiths.com> wrote:

> Basically, you Can't Do That(TM).

Ah well.  Sucks, but just a minor pain in an otherwise awesome product
- especially for the price.

Now I have to find an alternative way to handle this.   One of my guys
is really keen on the idea of keeping the "icons" - but right now his
solution is to have them link to a page that itself contains a link to
the Category:Windows etc page.  His thinking is that people will train
themselves to click on the text links, not the icons, but that the
icons are visibly attractive enough to keep on the page even if they
don't really do what we want them to do.

My preferences were, in order:

Make image to Category redirecting work, if possible (now I know its not)

Make the images unclickable / nonfunctionaly if possible

Get rid of the images

Guess we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

--