[Mediawiki-l] Category pages not always displaying subcategories

John Blumel johnblumel at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 20:36:06 UTC 2005

Using MW v1.4.0...

I've been testing my submission of articles from external sources using
the Perl bot I wrote. Right now I have two primary sources, both of
which have roughly 1000 articles that are generated from them. During
article generation the articles are added to various categories (a
"bottom" level category and one or more "parent" categories) depending
on what categories it is decided they should show up in. I've also
generated category page stubs for each category that specifies the
category's parent categories (one or more parents per category and each
parent may have one or more parents, all the way up to a top level
wiki-wide category).

I've finished uploading one set of entries to my test wiki (the
category pages were uploaded first) and am in the middle of uploading
the second set. While browsing the category pages, I noticed that the
subcategories for a particular category don't always show up on the
category page when there are more than 200 articles in the category.

Specifically, in a category of roughly 1000 entries, all of which show
up in that category (200 at a time), the subcategories do not show up
on the first page of articles listed, they appear on the second page,
and then they disappear again on all the subsequent pages of articles.
The categories are correctly specified in the category page source.

Is this a known issue with a fix available?

John Blumel