[Mediawiki-l] How to secure new wiki? (updated)

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 21:09:37 UTC 2005

On 4/25/05, Jason Davies <ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Confirm that the right file's being used.
>
> as you will have seen...this incredibly obvious step was one I missed.
> (the architecture of the directories is a little illogical - I didn't
> set it up).
> >
> >Confirm that the spam you're seeing is actually forbidden by the
> >settings (eg, is it from logged-in users already existing?)
>
> I've deleted all users in php admin that I didn't know.

This is generally a bad idea, because if you look at the history of a
page where a deleted user edited, there will be no matching ID for
that user in the user table (I don't know how MediaWiki deals with
this.)

It is generally prefered to do something else, like scramble the
password, so that the user is no longer operable.

> I notice that Firefox doesn't allow people to type in a log-in
> though....

That's odd. FireFox works fine for me on every wiki I've tried.

> I can now create users in php admin? I will have to look into it...(I'll
> try not to post more daft questions...)

There may be a mechanism to do it through the software, since there is
an option for only sysops to create users.

-- Jamie