[Mediawiki-l] RC Patrolling en masse?

John Blumel johnblumel at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 20:22:15 UTC 2005

Is there a way to, after finishing the setup of a wiki, globally mark
all of the pages as RC Patrolled?

It's a nice feature but, since the number of articles that will be
auto-submitted to our wiki is in the 3500-4000 range (or maybe more),
it's not very practical to go and click on "Mark this article as
patrolled" on each of them.

Obviously, I can automate this too but, since I need the rcid for the
page just added, and the "easy" way to get this is to retrieve the page
with the "mark" link, I have to hit the wiki two extra times -- 1 to
get the "mark" URL with the rcid and 1 to mark it patrolled) for each
page -- and maintain 2 user agents in my bot -- one that uses the user
name I am submitting the articles under (to track the original source)
and one that uses my sysop user name so that I can get the page and
mark it (or keep logging in and out with both user names, which is even
more hits on the wiki).

The reason the number of hits is an issue is that I'd like to pause
between hits because there are other users working manually on the wiki
and I don't want to interfere with their work by slowing things down
too much. So two (or more) extra hits adds up to a lot of extra time to
do the loading.

John Blumel