[Mediawiki-l] Opera auto-changes my SSL URL to include ":443"?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Wed Apr 20 14:13:10 UTC 2005

Hello,

As you all have probably guessed by my recent emails, I have a new
MediaWiki running at my site.  Thus far I'm completely loving it.

Another minor thing I'm trying to fix:

My Opera browser (and not the others) tacks on a ":443" to my SSL access
URL during the http-to-https redirects.  Any way I can change my server
(Apache, MediaWiki, etc) to prevent Opera from doing this?  Alternatively,
is there something I can change in Opera (I'm running Opera 7.54u1)?  I'd
rather do the former instead of the latter if I can.

Details:

I run my site behind an SSL "firewall" (because it's basically a
small-business corporate intranet) on my own server (it's actually a "VPS"
hosted somewhere else--I have complete root access).

I'm redirecting all port-80 access to my site to port 443 (the standard SSL
port) with the same URL (via my Apache 2.0.52 httpd.conf).  Thus
http://example.com/wiki automatically gets redirected to
https://example.com/wiki (note the "https" vs "http").

However, in Opera (and not in Fireforx or IE), an access of
http://example.com/wiki automatically gets redirected to
https://example.com:443/wiki/Main_Page .  HOWEVER, a link to
http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page gets redirected to
https://example.com/wiki/Main_Page (with the "https" but without the
":443").  This leads me to believe that there's something I can change in
the "root" part of MediaWiki to change this behavior.

Any thoughts?  I hunted around in the meta.mediawiki.org help and tried
googling the email list archives (but could not get that to work) and did
not find anything.

I can provide the pertinent http.conf details later if you like...I must
scamper off to other work for now.

-Matt