[Mediawiki-l] Re: How can I drive these Language.php changes into my Wiki?

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:37:28 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, Matthew England <mengland at mengland.net> wrote:
> >How can I drive these Language.php changes into my Wiki (running 1.4.0)?
>
> These are not showing up immediate in my Wiki like the rest of the
> LocalSettings/DefaultSettings.php changes I've made.  (I tried an Apache
> reload, too, and that didn't do anything...not that I expected it
> to.)  Maybe this stuff is loaded in at database-initialization time?  If
> so, what are my options?

You've hit the nail on the head there. In order to make things
*easier* to customise, all the interface strings are loaded into pages
in the wiki at install time, so that anyone with sysop rights can edit
them through the wiki itself. See
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:MediaWiki_namespace

Basically, just add "MediaWiki:" to the name of the string you're
trying to edit, and edit that page on your wiki - so, you need to edit
the pages MediaWiki:Loginprompt and MediaWiki:Whitelistedittext Don't
forget to do a hard-refresh if you think things aren't updating
properly.

The best idea is to pretend that the LanguageXX.php files don't exist,
and just use Special:Allmessages to find the string you want.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]