[Mediawiki-l] Fix? Browser not always jumping to anchor in Article

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Tue Apr 19 14:33:37 UTC 2005

At 4/19/2005 08:53 AM, Richard Holton wrote:
>I think I've noticed on Firefox (and not verified on IE) that if you
>open a new tab or window using a link with an anchor, it does not jump
>to the anchor.

That's precisely the case for me.  Here's why this scenario is important:

I'm hoping to have external-URL references to MediaWiki docs/pages, and
more specifically, a reference to a specific section in a page.  The only
way I know how to do this is to use URL "anchors" (the #this-is-section-3
kind of thing).

With an external reference (say in an email, a blog, a web forum, Word doc,
another Wiki page, etc etc), a click to it will create another Firefox
tab/window (or another Opera tab/window, or another IE browser, etc).  I
want my readers to be able to go to the specific section of the Wiki page,
for that section will probably be associated from a particular
context/content the reader was viewing (which linked to the Wiki section).

This scenario therefore becomes extremely important if I want to have
"cross-referenced" content, even if it's just from Wiki page to Wiki page.

I assume this makes complete sense (and that I run the risk of possibly
"talking down" to folks here), but if it doesn't, please let me know.

-Matt