[Mediawiki-l] process for uploading/linking to files is difficult

Sam Rowe mediawiki at samrowe.com
Fri Apr 15 19:36:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:26:23AM -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:
# Sam Rowe wrote:
# >Another thing that always confused me about the mediawiki upload process is
# >that you're prompted to enter a description and then the "success" page's
# >"blobby paragraph" includes an example that contains your filename, but not
# >your description. That seems like an easy fix! Should I file a bug?
#
# No, that doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd see stuff like this:
#
# [[Image:SumatraMap.jpg|Map of [[Sumatra]], version as of 2005-04-11.
# Taken from http://foo.bar.baz/maps/asia/, marked as public domain.
# {{Public domain image}}
#
# I modified the legend to make it more legible and remove the scanning
# errors, and did a threshold to reduce the number of colors for better
# compression.
#
# TODO: Replace with cleaned-up SVG version.]]

Aah, perhaps the Description field should be made into a textarea
then? On my private wiki, I almost always use the same description
when uploading as when marking up.