[Mediawiki-l] Stop new accounts?

Andrew Johnson anj at aps.anl.gov
Fri Apr 1 16:29:21 UTC 2005

Alistair Johnson wrote:
> in localsettings.php
>
> # Limit creation of new user accounts to staff with admin access
> $wgWhitelistAccount = array ( "sysop" => 1, "developer" => 1);

Note that when you do this (in version 1.3.11 at least), existing users
who are neither a sysop nor a developer are not permitted to set their
own password; all they can do is have a new random password mailed to them.

I hacked my MediaWiki installation to distinguish between "anonymous"
and "user" entries in the $wgWhitelistAccount array, which permits
existing registered users to create new accounts and also change their
own passwords.  This isn't ideal, but it was much easier than hacking
the login page and was good enough for my installation.

I'll be happy to mail the patch to anyone who wants it, but for some
reason I can't get Thunderbird to include it in this message body
without line wrapping, and I believe this list will delete it as an
attachment.

- Andrew
--
Podiabombastic: The tendency to shoot oneself in the foot.