[Mediawiki-l] customizing MediaWiki's skin (was: newbie questions)

Chris Phoenix cphoenix at CRNano.org
Tue Sep 28 05:08:48 UTC 2004

I think I mentioned it on this list recently, but I have a page that
should provide a useful answer to your question.

In http://wise-nano.org/t/Programming_notes I describe how I've been
changing MediaWiki, including several skin hacks.

I also give brief hint sections on the various standards/languages that
go into MediaWiki.

Chris

Jens Ropers wrote:

> Hi Manny,
>
> I saw your previous email
>
>>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-September/
>>> 001459.html
>
> where you talked about heavily customizing the MediaWiki skin.
>
> Did you get anywhere?
>
> Because I'm trying to do essentially the same thing.
> I'm trying to fully transition my website
>
>>> http://www.ropersonline.com
>
> to MediaWiki.
> Basically I want to use MediaWiki as a Content Management System. I'm
> aware it's not strictly built for that because there is no access
> control management, but I'd be the sole user anyway. My only point in
> using MediaWiki is to stop writing HTML by hand (too cumbersome) and
> have the MediaWiki-markup and all its features I've grown to like at my
> disposal.
>
> Now I'm essentially trying to get my MediaWiki skin to look pretty much
> exactly like my homepage (see above) looks today. I'd want to hide all
> the "edit", "preferences", etc. links.
> Then all I'd need to do to edit my website is to manually type in
>
>>> http://www.ropersonline.com/Special:Userlogin
>
> and login and start working away.
>
> I know it's a daunting task, especially given my comparatively limited
> qualifications, but anyway.
>
> Please let me know how you got on.
> Anybody else who's got any pointers/comments -- that's very welcome! :-)
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Jens Ropers
>
> There are two types of IT techs: The ones who watch soap operas and the
> ones who watch progress bars.
> http://www.ropersonline.com/elmo/#108681741955837683

Chris Phoenix                                  cphoenix at CRNano.org
Director of Research
Center for Responsible Nanotechnology          http://CRNano.org