[Mediawiki-l] Wiki installation/setup question

Chuck Bishop Chuck.Bishop at gis.leica-geosystems.com
Mon Sep 27 12:26:48 UTC 2004

Thanks for replying.

I guess my confusion is that in the INSTALL Readme file with MediaWiki
1.3.3, you are to 'Hop' into your browser and surf to the wiki
directory.

INSTALL
Hop into your browser and surf into the wiki directory.
It'll direct you into the config script. Fill out the form...
remember you're probably not on an encrypted connection.
Gaaah! :)

If all goes well, you should soon be told that it's set up
your wiki database and written a configuration file. There
should now be a 'LocalSettings.php' in the config directory;
move it back up to the main wiki directory, and the wiki
should now be working.

Once the wiki is set up, you should remove the config
directory, or at least make it not world-writable (though
it will refuse to config again if the wiki is set up).

However, all I get in the browser menu is the message, 'Sorry, The Wiki
is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot contact the
database server.  I can't find any error logs.

I set the LocalSettings.php to the suggested settings in
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Installation and I am able
to access mysql with my username and password.

The part of the documentation I 'feel' may be incorrect is where it
instructs you to run the install with install.php, but according to
INSTALL Readme, this install file is no longer used.

INSTALL
In 1.3.0 the old command-line installer has been removed.

However, on the
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Installation page, it
instructs you run 'php4 install.php'.
Finish the Installation
Run the installation script:
  php4 install.php
Now you might get a warning:

I apologize for my ignorance on this subject, but obviously, I'm missing
something and it's probably something very simple to fix.

Software:
MediaWiki 	Ver. 1.3.3
Mysql		Ver. 4.0.21-standard for pc-linux on i686
Apache 	Ver. 2.0.49
PHP		Ver. 4.3.4 (cgi)
Fedora Linux  Core 2

Thanks,