[Mediawiki-l] Advice on structure

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Sat Sep 11 07:36:13 UTC 2004

Hello,

The wiki I'm working on is intended to be used as a users' manual for an
open-source software project. There will be a number of documents that will be
translated from English. What I would like advice on is how to manage these
pages in the wiki.

There will not be enough language-specific pages for a complete wiki in, say,
French, but there will be several important documents in other languages. How
should we name and/or organize these pages to maximize the ability of other
people to find the document they require in their desired language?

One thing that I have attempted to do was create page names like this:
nl:Starpagina for Dutch-language pages.

We are striving to minimize or completely avoid using sub-pages, as it has been
suggested to us that sub-pages complicate the search process and make the wiki
more difficult to manage.

We started to create some new namespaces, but it's obvious that we don't really
understand them well enough, and are not using them properly.

Your suggestions and advice would be most welcome.
Thank you.

Craig Hartel
http://codex.wordpress.org/ - WordPress Documentation Wiki.