[Mediawiki-l] RE: collection of dumb questions [external links in new browser w indow]

JT.Thomas at VerizonWireless.com JT.Thomas at VerizonWireless.com
Fri Sep 10 00:36:07 UTC 2004

We did the following in our 1.2.6 installation (Skin.php):

function getExternalLinkAttributes( $link, $text )
    {
        global $wgUser, $wgOut, $wgLang;

        $link = urldecode( $link );
        $link = $wgLang->checkTitleEncoding( $link );
        $link = str_replace( "_", " ", $link );
        $link = wfEscapeHTML( $link );

        if ( $wgOut->isPrintable() ) { $r = " class='printable'"; }
        else { $r = " class='external'"; }

        if ( 1 == $wgUser->getOption( "hover" ) ) {
#           $r .= " title=\"{$link}\"";
            $r .= " target=\"_new\" title=\"{$link}\"";
        }
        return $r;
    }

Please note that this approach allows the user to override the behavior by
disabling 'Show hoverbox over wiki links' in the user preferences.

Not a perfect hack perhaps, but it suits us fine.

Best Regards,

JT

===
You said: