[Mediawiki-l] Handler for file:// type URLs?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Sep 7 22:24:40 UTC 2004

Brierley, Mike wrote:
> Would I use file:// for excel docs and word docs? And if so, could
> someone provide an example of how a link might look? (Code)
> I've tried this example and still do not get a working link.

You would use file: URLs to link to any file contained on a local
filesystem or network drive. For instance if your office has Windows
networking, and you want to reference the Excel file
\\bigserver\spreadsheets\stuff.xls you would link like this:

...see file://bigserver/spreadsheets/stuff.xls ...
or
...see [file://bigserver/spreadsheets/stuff.xls the excel file]...

If the server is mapped to a drive letter (say S:) throughout your
network you might do:
...see file://s|/spreadsheets/stuff.xls ...
...see [file://s|/spreadsheets/stuff.xls the excel file] ...

Note that some versions of Mozilla have disabled file: links in pages
retrieved over HTTP for security. I don't know offhand what settings are
necessary to reenable it.

If you just want to link to a file you have uploaded to the wiki, use
media links: [[Media:uploadedfile.xls]]

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)