[Mediawiki-l] Introduction

Craig Hartel milquetoast at telus.net
Tue Sep 7 21:33:29 UTC 2004

Hello, all.

My name is Craig Hartel, and I am new to MediaWiki and relatively new to wikis
in general. I am one of two people responsible for building reference
documentation for WordPress (http://wordpress.org) which is an open-source
blogging tool.

We are currently in the process of building our wiki by harvesting from our old
wiki (phpWiki I believe) and by twisting arms of community members to write
documentation for us.

I am already very impressed with MediaWiki, and am excited by all of the
possibilities of how it can be used. I am a bit overwhelmed right now with
trying to set up some guidelines for how we want the wiki to work, and with
issues of creating templates and related wiki assets.

Although I am comfortable with CSS, I am also trying to come up with some
site-specific customizations.

If any of you might have some links to to help me and my team to get started, it
would be very much appreciated. I have been poking around quite a bit in the
MetaWiki, so I'm armed with enough knowledge to really make a mess! ;)

Our wiki is not officially online, but if you would like to have a peek at it,
you can find it at http://codex.wordpress.org/ . We are currently working to
decide how to best use namespaces, as we wish to maximize searchability and
minimize sub-pages.

Any advice you may have would be great.

Thanks for putting together a great piece of software and I look forward to
participating in the MediaWiki community.

Craig Hartel a.k.a. "Nuclear Moose"