[Mediawiki-l] Installation of 1.3.2 to 1&1 webserver fails

Andrew Reeves-Hall Andrew at Reeves-Hall.net
Sun Sep 5 21:16:19 UTC 2004

Hi,

I copied all the Media Wiki 1.3.2 files into my 1&1 (www.1and1.com)
webspace, set up 1&1 to create a database, chmod 777 the config directory
and ran the install web page...sadly, it hung after I submitted all my
details (database name, etc).

Has anyone else run into this problem?  What's the solution?

Here's all that was on my webpage after submitting the database info:

MediaWiki 1.3.2 installation
Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.

Checking environment...
PHP 4.3.8: ok
Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled. MediaWiki will work
correctly, but this setting increases your exposure to potential security
vulnerabilities in PHP-based software running on your server. You should
disable it if you are able.
PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP's memory_limit is 40M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
Installation directory: /homepages/27/d88423054/htdocs/wiki
Script URI path: /wiki