[Mediawiki-l] help!

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 22:30:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:22:06 -0400, Gaurav Chaturvedi <mesaana at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need help with the search feature and creating new pages.  On
> wikipedia.com there is an option to "Create a new article" or "submit
> a request for the article", I would like this to be displayed in my
> search results as well (as that is the only way I understand that
> articles can be created through the webpage).

This has been achieved by customising the page MediaWiki:Nogomatch -
just go to that page on your own wiki and edit it to be more like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Nogomatch

> Also, is there anywhere that a command is there like: "Create New
> Entry Page" or something?  Would be much easier...thanks.

There is no specific function to do that because it usually happens
just through the growth of the wiki: you click a link to a
non-existent page, you are invited to create it. This is generally the
preferred order of events, since it means there are no "orphans"
(pages with no links pointing to them).

Note also that you can edit (and therefore create) a non-existent page
just by typing its URL in your browser's address bar - to make this
more obvious to other users, try editing MediaWiki:Noarticletext,
which is what appears when a non-existent page is "viewed" in this
way.

For more information, see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page
Hope this clarifies matters somewhat.