[Mediawiki-l] Changing the main page title and customising the menu on the LHS

Bart Read bart at aarghsoft.com
Thu Sep 2 21:13:41 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I now have a working MediaWiki installation and have started customising
it for our site.  However, the developer docs seem somewhat sparse and
there are a few changes I need to make.  Not to be deterred I decided to
have a bit of a hack around, and grepped through the source code for the
items of interest.  This yielded two possible files in which I could
make changes:

{mediawikidir}/languages/Language.php
{mediawikidir}/templates/xhtml_slim.pt

So, anyway I tried changing "Main page" to something else ("Welcome" as
it goes), in both places, refreshed the front page in my browser and....
well, basically nothing appeared to happen.  I also tried to change the
left-hand menu text (Community portal) etc with the same result.

Obviously I'm missing something, but I'd be extremely grateful if
somebody could tell me what that is.

Many thanks,
Bart