[Mediawiki-l] (bug) "]" disappears

Sterling D. Allan sterlingda at pureenergysystems.com
Wed Sep 1 15:31:02 UTC 2004

I found a little bug.  Discovered it (now fixed) while working on
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Perendev_Power_Developments_Pty_%28Ltd%29#See_also
or try http://tinyurl.com/58mwy

Under "See also"; in the browser, the following appeared
[[Directory:Magnetic Motors ]

Yet in code it was
[[Directory:Magnetic Motors]]

It turns out that it was because I omitted the closing "]" from a link
several sections higher
([mailto:perendev-subscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=subscribe subscribe)

Somehow that omission was picked up by the "spare ]" on the first internal
link it came to.

I don't know if this is a bug so much as a suggestion for programming.
Namely the following rule to be created: (sorry, very awkward to describe)
If a closing "]" is missing from external url syntax, then when the code is
previewed (or viewed as normal), an opening "[" will be shown as "["
...if the opening "[" is not followed by a closing "]" prior to a double
return or a heading or a bullet or a line ....

Sterling